Mr. Welfare State dressed in a Hugo Boss suit
- LocationHamburg Altona, Germany
- ProgramGrundschule, Gymnasium and Deutsch-Französisches Gymnasium
- ClientMunicipality of Hamburg, Schulbau Hamburg
- Size26.600 m²
- YearThree phase competition, 3rd prize, 2017-19
- CollaboratorsCoido Architects, Bruun & Möllers, Nova5
The nice suit does not “make the man.” This is a two-way street. It’s really the man who makes the clothes.
Clothes can make the man, yes. But it’s the man inside the suit the give it its spark. It is the gift inside the beautiful wrapping that counts.
Should architecture be spectacular, or should it make people look spectacular? Often it is easier to make objects shine on a grey and neutral background - or for people to shine in a grey flannel suit.
Realise the demands of Modernism while preserving architectural and urban tradition...